The Global WordNet Association is a free, public and non-commercial organization that provides a platform for discussing, sharing and connecting wordnets for all languages in the world. The aims of the association are:
- To establish distribution facilities for the dissemination of the Association and Association publications and information materials:
- To promote cooperation and information exchange among related professional and technical societies that build or use wordnets.
- To provide information on wordnets to the general public.
- To promote the standardization of the specification of wordnets for all languages in the world, including:
- the standardization of the Inter-Lingual-Index for inter-linking the wordnets of different languages, as a universal index of meaning
- the development of a common representation for wordnet data
- To promote the development of sense-tagged corpora in all the linked languages.
- To promote sharing and transferring of data, software and specifications across wordnet builders for different languages
- To promote the development of guidelines and methodologies for building wordnets in new languages
- To promote the development of explicit criteria and definitions for verifying the relations in any language
- To promote the development of consistency checking, comparison and evaluation modules
- To promote research into the psychological adequacy of models of the mental lexicon
The Global WordNet Association (GWA) builds on the results of Princeton WordNet and EuroWordNet.