The aim of the project OpenMT-2 is to foster research in Machine Translation (MT) technology in order to generate robust, high-quality combined MT systems and improved evaluation metrics and in the framework of the 2006-2008 OpenMT project (TIN2006-15307-C03-01). Current results in OpenMT are very satisfactory, and we foresee that further research on the basic working lines and also on some new research paths can provide much better results. The research in OpenMT-2 would be carried out in 5 main areas:
- Collection, annotation and exploitation of multilingual corpora
- Further development of the current single-paradigm translation systems
- Pre-edition, post-edition and system improving based on collaboration with a web2.0 community.
- Combining and hybridizing MT paradigms.
- Advanced evaluation for MT
We will test the functionality of the new developed MT technology and systems with four different languages: English, Spanish, Catalan and Basque. Also, systems will be applied in different contexts (i.e., different corpora domains and genres).
The main innovative points of the proposal are:
- The design of hybrid systems combining traditional linguistic rules, example-based
- The use of advanced morphological, syntactic and semantic processing in MT
- Research taking advantage of a web community of posteditors (2.0 oriented)
- The use of more realistic metrics in MT evaluation, improving its reliability
- The creation of a web-based suite of MT systems and tools for evaluation and error analysis
The consortium is composed by two universities: University of the Basque Country (UPV/EHU), Technical University of Catalonia (UPC), and a non-profit research centre: Elhuyar. Several companies and foundations with activities in closely related areas will serve as supervision EPOs for the project: Eleka, Fundació i2CAT, Imaxin, Semantix, Translendium SL and eu.wikipedia.